domingo, 30 de enero de 2011

Vive en el momento

Another great weekend in Sevilla! The weekend was really needed because going to school while in such an exciting place is a little harder than I expected. Although the material in my intensive Spanish course isn't overly challenging, its a bummer sometimes to have to go to class because I just want to explore the city all day! But thats expected. Actually, the Spanish intensive class has been pretty interesting. We have been learning about the current economic state and the politics in Spain, in addition to helpful business terms in Spanish. Also, my professor has assigned us three activities where we are required to interview locals, and then write a 600 word essay in Spanish on the topic. Last week I had to go to an unemployment office and ask people about how long they have been unemployed, what sector they used to work in, what their thoughts are about their future employment, etc. This experience put me a little out of my comfort zone, and made me realize another cultural difference - Spaniards are more blunt than us. For example, I thought this was terribly rude to go up to strangers and ask them how long they have been unemployed for, but my professor didn't think it was weird at all. Spaniards really seem to say things how they are, and I feel that in the U.S. we are often trying to present ourselves in the most optimal light.

On Friday I toured la Catedral. I took a ton of pictures, but they don't do it justice. Its so breathtaking in person, I don't even know how to explain it. Its pretty cool to think that I only live a ten minute walk from the third largest church in the world. Its also rumored that Christopher Columbus' bones are there, but no one is exactly sure.


The supposed tomb where Christoper Columbus' bones are. The tour guide said they were only able to recover the bottom half of his skeleton.


Me at the top of la Catedral. I had to climb up 34 ramps!

Inside la Catedral. I'm hoping to go to mass here one Sunday.  I was shocked to hear they they allow the public to attend mass here. 


After class was over with on Friday, it was time to put on my dancing shoes! On Friday I went out for tapas for a friends birthday. After that we bounced around Sevilla to various bars, and ended the night at a club called Buda. This is by far the biggest club I have ever been to, and I have never seen anything like it. Three floors, a different type of music on every floor, and its best to go after 2am. Much different than the U.S. By 5am and after 10 hours of prancing around town in heels I was ready to call it a night, but the place was still packed! I felt like I was being lame by leaving, but my poor feet had had enough.

Some friends and I out for tapas!


On Saturday I met up with some friends and walked around/shopped in el centro. We met up with this Spanish guy who one of the girls knew, and he told us he was going to show us "real Spain." He proceeded to take us to plaza where hundreds of Spaniards were hanging out, socializing and drinking - for no apparent reason.  But, the longer I've been here I've noticed that Spaniards don't seem to need a reason to socialize with one another, nor do they rely on time as much. They seem to actually try to enjoy life and just go where the day takes them. I'm always planning ahead, so its pretty different for me. But its making me realize that sometimes I just need to sit back, relax and really enjoy the moment. I'm always so busy at school, so I'm always jumping from one thing to the next. But here, I have a lot of down time and its taking some getting used to.

Later that night I went to a Bachata dance lesson. Lets just say..I am not the best dancer! But I had a great time! There were probably about 30 of us, and every time the instructor yelled "rotono!" we would switch partners. All the locals were very nice, and I think found it amussing at how clueless I was with the steps. I definitely want to go back again! After that I proceeded to dance late into the night, and my legs are definitely paying the price. I don't think I have been this sore since I ran my marathon...who knew dancing in heels was such a good work out?

Today was a pretty relaxing day. I slept in until 1pm (which I never do at home!), and then had a nice lunch with my Señora. She makes the oddest meals, but they usually taste pretty good. For example, today we had a soup that had white beans, potatoes and carrots and it was delicious. Dinner was even stranger - soup with bread, potatoes and eggs. Not something I would want on my birthday, but definitely better than I expected. After that I met up with friends in a cafe to work on my paper for tomorrow.

Hasta luego!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario